The Kawai Digital & Acoustic Piano Users Forum

Unofficial digital/acoustic piano forum for users of Kawai Musical Instrument products. We are not affiliated with Kawai Musical Instruments!

MP11 minor issue with microswitch

chrisnb

MP11 minor issue with microswitch

Post by chrisnb on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:43 am

I have a minor annoying problem with my MP11 (purchased last year): the switch for the F1 button seems to have become slightly stuck; it's not clicking firmly like all the others on the panel. At present, it functions correctly, although it feels slightly awkward to press. It's not through overuse, and nothing has been spilled on it.
    I've tried some compressed air, but that doesn't help. It hardly seems worth initiating a repair order for something so small, as long as it works. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this with an MP piano?
    HwyStar
    Admin

Re: MP11 minor issue with microswitch

Post by HwyStar on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:24 am

Hi ChrisNB!

I have not experienced any issues with any one of the "F" Keys on my MP11. I have not taken the top off of mine and unless something like yours happens to mine I don't intend to. But, even if you do, that button may not lend itself to cleaning. I will google around to see if there are any naked pictures of the MP11 in that area to see if it makes sense to try and clean it or it is a defect and needs to be replaced.

Having an MP11 worked on is a heavy pain. Did you keep your box? If you got your board at a local dealer do they have a tech?

Update: I just sent a PM to Kawai James on Piano World to see if he has any insights on your issue or others who may have experienced the "F" keys going bad. I don't remember any issues with the buttons on the MP10 or 11.

Last edited by HwyStar on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : KJ Personal Message sent)

chrisnb

Post by chrisnb on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:55 am

Thanks for your reply. Although I've repaired a variety of equipment myself, I won't be taking the top off the MP11: apart from anything else, it's well within the 5-year warranty, and my opening it would void that.
    I certainly kept the box, although it seems barely adequate for the size and weight of the keyboard (more wood reinforcement wouldn't go amiss!) — further courier shipping would seem a risk. It was purchased from a dealer within my country (UK), but some distance away. I shall contact them just to log the issue, and see what they suggest in case it deteriorates.
    Thanks for forwarding to James: I've read many of his posts on PW, and that would have been my next step.
    Every other switch on the panel clicks firmly—only the F1 is acting otherwise. As it's near the middle, I wonder whether the PCB may have flexed/sagged.
    We'll see what happens...
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:05 pm

KJ got back to me via Piano World with no help or a better direction. His suggestion: take it back to your dealer to have them replace or repair the unit. Kind of what we thought would happen anyway.

I agree, I would not mess with the unit. The PCB may have lost a screw that secures it to the chassis. Your idea of the PCB flexing/sagging sounds about right. If you can move the MP11 can you hear any screws that have dropped to the bottom of the case?

I have noticed that I get a lot of light from the display on the tops of my keys at the front black face plate when I depress them. I have often wondered if an internal cover for that section has come loose. I have not seen pictures of our units. If you ever do find pictures please post them here or PW!

chrisnb

Post by chrisnb on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Hello,
    Thanks for your update. Yes, James and I have also corresponded directly. I'll take this to PM...

Raytracer

Post by Raytracer on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Same here with my MP-11 in Germany. Talked to a technician about this problem. He feared that little can be done. It's poor design. If you get a new unit you may have problems with a different switch getting stuck.

chrisnb

Post by chrisnb on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for your input. It does seem that they skimped on some aspect of the switch design.
    No, it wouldn't make sense to get a replacement unit (even if they offered this): as you say, another switch might well be affected, and I've no concerns about the keyboard and action on mine, whereas others have reported issues in this regard.
    At least it works; it just feels disconcerting. Time will tell if ours deteriorate, and if more owners start to notice this.
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 pm

I have pretty much dialed in my one main sound and leave it on that setting 100% of the time now. So, I never use those switches anymore. They won't get pressed a thousand times by me that's for sure.

When the dialing is done and I am living with the piano, I just want to play and could care less about fiddling with another electronic piece of equipment. There still isn't a 100% convincing digital piano yet to my ears. But my MP11 is close enough for Rock-n-Roll!

chrisnb

Post by chrisnb on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm essentially of the same opinion, although for pure piano I have an acoustic. Using the metronome and some other features does involve those switches, but as you suggest, they shouldn't get used to the point of failure.
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 am

I have a real acoustic too; like you, and I only use the MP11 for practice. Using headphones I beat the same song to death practicing it. Once done with practice I play my acoustic and everyone in my household is really happy to hear it. Otherwise they would be yelling at me: "Play something different Dad!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am