The Kawai Digital & Acoustic Piano Users Forum

Unofficial digital/acoustic piano forum for users of Kawai Musical Instrument products. We are not affiliated with Kawai Musical Instruments!

Headphones - Yes! Speakers - Nope

HwyStar
    Admin

Headphones - Yes! Speakers - Nope

Post by HwyStar on Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:04 pm

After using headphones for a while (Sennheiser HD650's) I love the MP11 sound.  I plugged in my Yamaha HS8 studio monitor speakers and OMG, they sounded like poo-poo.

I used the Concert Grand settings I have been using all along with the HD650's but the Yamaha's sounded terrible.  Midrange was to pronounced and it made the MP11 sound fake.  Back to headphones for me.  I will use the speakers to play music through them and listen to YouTube videos.
    Raytracer

Make some essential changes

Post by Raytracer on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:52 am

HwyStar wrote:After using headphones for a while (Sennheiser HD650's) I love the MP11 sound.  I plugged in my Yamaha HS8 studio monitor speakers and OMG, they sounded like poo-poo.

I used the Concert Grand settings I have been using all along with the HD650's but the Yamaha's sounded terrible.  Midrange was to pronounced and it made the MP11 sound fake.  Back to headphones for me.  I will use the speakers to play music through them and listen to YouTube videos.

I'm using headphones (AKG K-702) for 5 months now ever since I bought the MP-11. A few days ago I massively invested into a pair of Genelec 8030s monitors + 7050 subwoofer setup and I must say: I'm totally blown away. An absolute Genesis soundwise! Made my day.

My advice: Check your audio equipment for placement and adjustment/fine tuning to your surroundings (an inch to the left/right can totally make the difference). I strongly believe there is great potential for improvement and a lot that can be optimized in that area. There are better sounding DPs out there, yes. But the MP-11 really can deliver to satisfy the even more demanding pianist ...

Last edited by Raytracer on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    HwyStar
    Admin

Re: Headphones - Yes! Speakers - Nope

Post by HwyStar on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum Raytracer!

So those little bad boys sound really good huh?  And the sub-woofer helps them to sound full bodied?  I have looked at those speakers and always wondered how good they really were.  I know their bigger studio monitors are fantastic.

I think that the HS8 monitors are a little "to flat" in their response and have zero character to them.  I have some old JBL monitors that have color to them in all the right places and sound wonderful.  Music played through the HS8's sound pretty good but the mid range of the speakers has a boxey-ness to them that pops out.  Right in the same spot as pianos reside in the mix.

I may check out a pair of Genelec's and sub from Amazon.

The HS8 monitors work great for TV monitors...  Hmmmm....  Smile

Thanks Man!  I will update this thread if I go that route.  I have also been considering HD800 headphones.  They get excellent reviews too, for openness and clarity compared to my HD650s.
    Raytracer

Post by Raytracer on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome HwyStar !

But please, don't blindly take my word for it with these speakers. In the end it's all a matter of your environment and personal taste. All I wanted to say was I believe that our piano really can sound good when driven over the right speaker configuration. Maybe your Yamahas aren't that bad (they seem to be somewhat basic though from I had heard because I favored then in the beginning too). My understanding is that the Genelecs seem to be quite affordable right now because they are being replaced by the G series. Anyhow keep enjoying this wonderful instrument.

Cheers,
    Ray

P.S.
    Monitors are supposed to have 'no character'. If you don't notice them, then they're perfect.

P.P.S
    The Genelecs are starting to reveal some small deficiencies of the MP-11. Strange sounds in the background when heavily using reverb on strings / pads.

Last edited by Raytracer on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Amendments and additions as well as syntactic corrections)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 pm