The Kawai Digital & Acoustic Piano Users Forum

Unofficial digital/acoustic piano forum for users of Kawai Musical Instrument products. We are not affiliated with Kawai Musical Instruments!

Hand problems with the VPC1?

HwyStar
    Admin

Hand problems with the VPC1?

Post by HwyStar on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:08 am

Here is an interesting article posted over on the Pianoteq website:

rjawad1 wrote:"Hello All,

I have a kawai baby grand piano and a VPC1 kawai digital piano.  I recently took my VPC1 to school to use there.  We have a really bad upright, and I was tired of tuning it all the time.  However, the -real- reason I took my VPC1 to school was because I had a hunch it was messing up my hands.  I was having problems with my hands on and off.  Soreness, tiredness, etc.

Since I took my VPC1 to school, all these problems went away.  See, at school, I mainly play hymns for the choir.  Sometimes, I just give them the first note and let them sing without me playing at all.  Bottom line is, I don't play on it very much now that I took it to school.  On my home piano, I work on classical music.  Right now I'm trying to finish the first book of the Chopin Etudes.  I'm up to number 8 and play several hours a day, each day, on numbers 1 through 8.  I have no problems with my hands afterwards.  No muscle problems.  Nothing.

However, once in a while (maybe once a week, or twice a month) after school, I will sit down and play some of these same Etudes on the VPC1.  I don't practice them; I just play through 2 or 3 of them quickly and then leave.  And I promise you, every time I do this, my hands hurt afterwards.  They feel like they are sore all the way from the tops of my hands through my forearms to my elbows.  I find myself unconsciously opening my hands wide, stretching my thumbs, stretching my palms, and twisting my forearms.  Then I go home and try to play on the real piano, and my fingers feel like I can't put weight on them.  They are not sturdy.  If you've ever had shin splits, it feels kind of like that but in my arms.  Then I wait a few days, and everything is back to normal.  I can play the real piano just fine; no problems.  Then one day I'll play on the VPC1 after school, and the same thing happens all over again.  I've repeated this 6 or 7 times with the same results.

I've tried to figure out what is going on here.  The keys push down about the same on either piano.  It's not exactly the same, but it is close.  The VPC1 keys don't come up as well.  But I think it must have something to do with the key bed.  Is the key bed much harder on the VPC1 than on a real piano?  Metal vs Wood.  I'm not really sure.  I know dancers prefer wooden floors to concrete floors.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem.  I don't think it is just a problem with the VPC1 and suspect other digital pianos have the same problem because of a similar construction.

Any insights?  
    Thank you."
    http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?pid=943138#p943138

I am now really happy that I got the MP11 instead of the VPC1.  I had my concerns that the down force required to play the shorter keys of the VPC1 would mess my "gentle" hands up.  This is not definitive proof but it helps to put my mind at ease.  I really like everything about the VPC1 but if Kawai wants it to be a pro tool then it should play exactly like their Kawai EX Grand.  Period.  If it played like the real thing, I would dump the MP11 and use the VPC1 and Pianoteq and would be very happy!  

Ravenscroft has the ability of fine tuning the VPC1 to play like their own grand piano...  What is Kawai's excuse?  Create a VPC2 and charge us more!  Serious players would buy it.  Case closed.  (And make the top of the VPC1 flat!)
    Raytracer

Re: Hand problems with the VPC1?

Post by Raytracer on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:27 am

HwyStar wrote:Here is an interesting article posted over on the Pianoteq website:

Ravenscroft has the ability of fine tuning the VPC1 to play like their own grand piano...  What is Kawai's excuse?  Create a VPC2 and charge us more!  Serious players would buy it.  Case closed.  (And make the top of the VPC1 flat!)

Why don't you hook-up PianoTeq to the MP-11 and setup your own velocity curves? Then you (mostly) have the best of both worlds.
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:44 am

The Light and Light+ settings on the MP11 for the most part help my hands. But still, the physical aspect of pressing the keys; V-Curves adjusted higher or not, I am still having to press the keys down. The Light+ setting does help when my hands are hurting and that is good!

When I play my AP it is so smooth, quick, fast and easy to play on my hands that it is hard to play any DP compared to it. For me, it is a dream action that is better than most 100K pianos. It is not a Fazioli, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Steinway, etc. 200K piano, but it is still fun and easy to play!

I am getting to the point that I just want to sit down to the MP11 and practice and not think about the sound of a DP and it's action. For me it is a workstation used day after day that allows me the ability of playing the same song 10,000 times until I get it right. Then, I head over to my AP and have the rest of the people in my house listen to it. If they have to listen to it for more than 5 times then they will kill me or slam their doors. I can't blame them?

Even today, I sat down to the MP11 and was amazed at how good the default "tweaked" concert grand sounded.

With Pianoteq, it means that I have to start messing around with knobs and very quickly I get tired of all the options that it can do. And, I am no longer playing the piano but am messing with the equipment. Don't get me wrong, I love PTQ, and really look forward to PTQ 6.0 but I want to play piano, not tweak piano and play on the side.

Thanks Raytracer! Hopefully I have answered your question.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:50 am